Labels

Saturday 18 August 2012

Affinity with the element Carbon (part 2)


2012



















Artist: Me
Title: Still life of dragonfruit and apple
Type: Pencil
Dimensions: 42 cm x 29.7 cm
Date: 1/8/2012

It was rather tedious when I did this pencil drawing. I spent 4 hours working on it, which exceeded my original aim to finish it in 2 hours. As the dragonfruit has a complex outer structure, I had to capture every shadow casted so that my final piece will look realistic. Also, I drew a rough outline of each fruit first, positioned them on my drawing paper and made sure they were spaced out before getting on to the details.

I started with the dragon fruit first, knowing that it would be the tougher one to draw between the two. I spent more than 3 hours completing it. However, I only spent 10 minutes drawing the apple, after which, my teacher touched up a bit. As I was sitting on a chair looking down at the fruits, the perspective of this drawing seems a little warped and the position of the shadows look strange as well.

I learnt that for still life using pencil, the most important thing is the shading, not the shadow. The shadow of the object can be sketchy since it is a pencil drawing. I love to draw using pencil since I can erase any mistakes and redraw, unlike watercolour or poster colour, which mistakes are intolerable as it would mean to redo the whole art work.



Artist: Me
Title: Untitled
Type: Pencil
Dimensions: Unknown
Date February 2012

It is from one of my sketchbook pages when I was investigating on how to sketch a human. I always find pleasure in drawing realistic human images as I get to focus on the task and really examine the picture and try to replicate it using pencil. It's a relaxing process. No wonder art is sometimes used as a therapy for patients. It brings innner peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment